Nautical Research Guild Membership Benefits
Why become a member of the Nautical Research Guild?
Although the yearly membership cost is not very high, we know that there are many other things that you could do with the money. But if you like to build historically accurate ship models, then here are some reasons why it will be money well spent:
- The Guild is the largest American organization of master ship modelers and naval historians. As a member you will be part of that community with access to the latest historical research and model building techniques.
- Four times a year you will receive the respected Nautical Research Journal with peer-reviewed academic articles on ship building, nautical history and the maritime arts, as well as detailed model ship building articles by some of the top ship modelers in the country.
- Members can attend our annual Conference where you will meet and exchange ideas with many of the authors and historians whose articles you have read, and enjoy maritime themed tours, historical and technical presentations, and the company of like-minded ship model builders and enthusiasts.
- From time to time the Guild arranges special access to the reserve collections of maritime museums so our members can examine ship models, scrimshaw and other artifacts that are not available to the public.
- If you choose you can enter the Juried Photographic Ship Model Competition. This event, held every two years, recognizes excellence in the building of model ships, and also is a way for you to have your work reviewed and evaluated by a panel of knowledgable judges, with their comments returned to you.
- Members enjoy discounts on Guild books and other products, on admission to maritime museums across the country, and on tools and supplies from our favorite vendors.